The first motoring club, the Automobile Club of SA, based in Cape Town, was founded in October 1901.
The Automobile Association of South Africa (AA) was formed at a meeting in Port Elizabeth. Its main function was to provide a strong national motoring organisation to protect and promote the interests of motorists in South Africa.
The original Cape Town based Automobile Club of SA received a royal charter and became known as the Royal Automobile Club of South Africa.
This club was taken over by the AA in 1965, after a fruitful existence of 64 years.